Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Just a little Heart Attack

Yesterday, Monday Sept. 21. I had a bit of a strange encounter.



I was getting ready for work just like any other Monday morning. It was about 6:20 a.m. The sky was just starting to brighten.



I had to go out and fill up the flat tire on my car. There is a slow leak so I have to do this every couple days.



After that I came back in the house to get my thermos of coffee. I left the back door open when I came in. I went into our computer room adjacent to the kitchen when I heard this tapping sound. I turned around to look at the storm door to see a guy standing there.



Startled, I yelled, "AH!" "What the...who...what are you doing on my porch!"



The guy says, "Calm down, calm down...I'm a neighbor, I saw your light on. I just wanted to see if I could get a cigarette."



So, calming down from the adrenaline rush, I step back and assess the guy. He seemed harmless enough. He was all shaky like he was in need of a drink or something. Maybe he was as freaked out as I was. Regardless, I decided it was all cool.



I apologized for freaking out. I'm not used to seeing random dudes on my back porch at 6:00 in the morning. I shook his hand and introduced myself. He told me his name, which I promptly forgot. I asked him where he lived, he said 72nd and Madison. That happens to be our old neighborhood. So, he's not exactly a neighbor, but at least if anything weird happens I know where to look to check things out.



I walked with him to the garage where we keep our smokes. My wife and I hide in there to smoke because we don't want the kids to see us smoking even though they know we smoke.



I gave the dude two cigarettes and sent him on his way. Then locked everything up and went to work.

No comments: